Hey, all you necrofowliacs! Welcome to the next installment of this “Dead Duck” episode, “AIN’T NO CURE FOR A SUMMERTIME BRUISE!” Here’s your trivia fix:
- “Summertime Bruise” was always meant to stoke the fire of Dead Duck’s mysterious origins, without ever being too specific. Sure, you could read this story and think, “Well, that’s does it then. Dead Duck must not have any evil powers.” Or you could wonder what future stories could reveal. Me, I think you should keep reading. It only gets weirder from here on in.
- I, too had been labeled dangerously clumsy in my youth (and well into my adulthood).
- I grew up with an awkward relationship with my dad. With perspective and distance, we’re closer these days. But Dead Duck’s strained relationship with JP, and even Zeebub’s relationship with his “dad”, are both drawn from a very personal well of experience.
- There was no way I would let Dracula die out like a chump. If there are “Dead Duck” stories in the future, Dracula will indeed figure into them. He’s too fun a character to draw to let him go.
- I’m a HUGE fan of Francis Ford Coppola’s 1992 flick, “Bram Stoker’s Dracula”. To date, it’s the only film that really dug deep into Stoker’s work, as well as the life of the real Dracula, Vlad Tepes.
- That last panel of Zeebub, as he brushes his hair away to reveal one scary-ass eyeball, was deeply inspired by a cartoon short I saw as a kid on the PBS show “The Electric Company” (1971-1977). In the short, you’d see an old west courthouse populated by old west characters drawn in the grand sketchy style of so much 1970′s animation. They sung about the word “OR”, and how it separated two ideas. This wicked gunslinger is on trial for his crimes, and his eyes are covered by shaggy hair. The judge asks him if he’ll be good from now on, and the bandit replies, “Sure Judge…” then, he sprouts a maniacal grin and his bloodshot eyes pop out from beneath his bangs as he growls, “…or WILL I?” Scared…the…shit out of me. I used my memories of that cartoon in my reveal of Zeebub’s own evil gaze.
See you on the next page!