Hey, all you necrofowliacs! Welcome to the next installment of this “Dead Duck” episode, “AIN’T NO CURE FOR A SUMMERTIME BRUISE!” Here’s your trivia fix:
- I tried to have JP’s explanation of this camp be ambiguous and a little foreboding. Anyone familiar with the writing of Bram Stoker might have a clue about what’s to come, but little Dead Duck hasn’t any idea what’s about to befall him.
- This second panel just cracks me up. I love JP’s “YIKES” body language in reaction to Dead Duck’s calculated warning of an impending hissy fit. This sorta thing went down between me and my dad often. The best comedy is rooted in truth, folks.
- I’ve been fed that line before from my parents, where they’ll disarm me with a laundry list of appealing jargon, just to end it with a hastily worded statement as they have one foot out the door (“Oh, and you have a dentist appointment in the morning. Bye!”).
- All of us can relate to that sense of abandonment, on our own camp experiences or even waiting for the bus on the first day of school. I still wear those childhood traumas like so many scout badges, and they served me well in writing this story.
- Admittedly, I’m a big fan of hugs. And having big ol’ grumpy JP Yorick begrudgingly hug cute and needy little Dead Duck just felt like the perfect mix of sweet and silly.
See you on the next page!